Saturday, January 24, 2009
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
1 1/4 cups flour
1 pinch salt
1/4 lb butter, chilled
2 tbs superfine sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbs ice water
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup golden syrup (recipe at end of this blog)
2 tbs lemon juice
1. Prepare the pastry as for pie crust and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Roll out for a 9 inch tart pan. Reserve the scraps. Trim the edges and retain the scraps.
3. Preheat oven to 400F
4. Mix oats, zest and ginger and sprinkle half in the pastry.
5. Pour on the syrup and lemon juice and sprinkle rest of oat mixture on top.
6. Roll out any remaining pastry and cut strips to lay a trellis over the tart if desired.
7. Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot or cold.
GOLDEN VANILLA SYRUP
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Makes: 2 1/4 cups
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
1 tbs light brown sugar
1. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, place seed and bean in a small bowl.
2. Combine granulated sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla bean and seeds, stirring gently. Cool syrup to room temperature.
3. Pour syrup and vanilla bean into a glass container. Cover and chill.
*Note: Store in the refridgerator for up to 1 month.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes
3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 lamb chops (3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl or cup, mix together the rosemary, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub this mixture onto the lamb chops on both sides. Place them on a plate, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place lamb chops in the skillet, and cook for about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium rare, or continue to cook to your desired doneness. Remove from the skillet, and keep warm on a serving plate.
3. Add shallots to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, just until browned. Stir in balsamic vinegar, scraping any bits of lamb from the bottom of the skillet, then stir in the chicken broth. Continue to cook and stir over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half. Remove from heat, and stir in the butter. Pour over the lamb chops and serve.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cubes beef bouillon
1 cup torn fresh spinach
2/3 cup cooked conchiglie (small shell shaped pasta)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. In a 3-qt saucepan, saute carrots, cabbage, celery, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Add water, tomatoes and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 - 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in spinach, pasta and pepper. Heat through.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
3 cups crushed ice or ice cubes
1 1/2 cups cold coffee
1/2 cup whole mile
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons caramel syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of vanilla extract
1. In a blender, combine cold coffee, whole milk, sugar, caramel and chocolate syrups, and salt. Blend on medium speed for 20 seconds.
2. Add a pinch of vanilla extract and 3 cups of ice. Blend on high speed until drink is smooth and creamy.
Cook time: 2 min
14 oz (1 can) evaporated milk
2 cups strong coffee
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup pure cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar (I substitute this with Splenda)
1. In a medium saucepan, mix together cocoa powder and sugar.
2. Add hot water and whisk lightly until smooth.
3. Heat gently for 2 minutes until the mixture turns thick, stirring constantly.
4. Ad evaporated milk and the coffee.
5. Heat to just boiling, beat then serve as desired
Cook time: 12 min
4 tilapia fillets
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger,peeled and grated
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 pound snow peas
4 small red potatoes, quartered sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup coconut milk
4 brown paper bags
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Soak 4 small brown paper bags in canola oil until saturated. Scrape off excess oil and set aside.
3. Season fillets with salk, grated ginger, lemon zest and juice. Top each with about 5 or 6 snow peas and 1 of the thinly sliced potatoes. Transfer each fillet into 1 of the bags and pour about 1/4 cup of the coconut milk into each bag. Fold well to seal in juice and steam.
4. Place onto 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake until bags are puffed and fish and potatoes are tender, about 10 -15 minutes.
5. Serve immediately at the table in the puffed bags. Tear open.
Cook time: 12 min
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 1/2 teaspoons barbeque seasoning
1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 dash ground black pepper
1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced green olives, drained
1. Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediate remove from heat. Cover andlet eggs stand in hot water for 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
2. Slice eggs lengthwise. Remove yolk and place in a sieve. Using a spoon or fork, force egg yolks through a sieve into a small bowl.
3. Into the bowl with egg yolks, mix mayonnaise, barbeque seasoning, prepared Dijon-style mustard, lemon juice and ground black pepper. Place the mixture in a plastic ziplock bag. Cut one corner from the bag, and pipe the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Top with sliced green olives. Chill in the refridgerator until serving.
Cook time: 3 minutes
6 ice cubes
2 cups cubed seeded watermelon
1 teaspoon honey
1. Place the ice cubes into a blender. Cover, and pulse until crushed. Add the watermelon and blend for about 1 minute, until slushy. Add honey, and blend for about 10 seconds.
Cook time: 10 minutes
5 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 (13.5 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup dry white wine (I substitute this with chicken broth)
1 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar (I substitute this with 1 tbs Splenda)
2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large stock pot, combine the lime juice, coconut milk, wine, curry paste, garlic, fish sauce and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar and curry paste and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes then add mussels. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels are opened, 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and discard any unopened mussels. Pour mussels and liquid into a serving dish and toss with cilantro.
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 (8 ounce) package linguini pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
2 tablespoongs chopped fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
2/3 cup boiling water
1/2 pound cooked shrimp
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguini, and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the same pan, melt 1/2 cup butter with the minced garlic. Stir in the cream cheese, breaking it up with a spoon as it melts. Stir in the parsley and basil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Mis in boiling water until sauce is smooth. Stir in cooked shrimp and mushrooms, and heat through.
4. Toss linguini with shrimp and serve.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Cook Time:25 min
4 salmon fillets (4 oz. each)
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/3 cup KRAFT Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing
1. PLACE salmon fillets, skin sides down, in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
2. MIX remaining ingredients until well blended; spoon over salmon.
3. BAKE at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until salmon flakes easily when tested with fork.
Cook time: 30 minutes
4 tilapia fillets
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Rinse tilapia fillets under cool water. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Place fillets in baking dish. Pour lemon juice over fillets then drizzle melted butter on top. Sprinkle with garlic, parsley, & pepper.
4. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until fillets are white and flakes when pull apart with a fork.
Monday, January 21, 2008
16 oz marinara sauce
16 oz clam sauce
20 oz mussels
8 oz squid, cleaned
3 oz chopped garlic
2 oz olive oil
2 1/2 lb hot cooked linguini
Lemon wedges for garnish
1. Heal olive oil in a large saute pan. Add chopped garlic and saute until garlic starts to brown. Add squid and mussels and saute for 2 minutes. Add clam sauce and marinara sause. Saute until mussels open.
2. Remove mussels and set aside. Reduce the sauce by half. Toss cooked pasta in with the sauce and mound onto a large plate. Place mussels around the outside of the pasta. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
1 packet Splenda Flavor Blends for Coffee, Caramel
2 packets Splenda Flavor Blends for Coffee, Cinnamon Spice
1 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoons Kraft Sugar Free Cool Whip
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large mug or coffee cup. Heat in microwave until warm.
2. Top with Kraft Sugar Free Cool Whip. Serve immediately.
1 large ripe banana, sliced
5 packets Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1/2 cup reduced fat milk
1 1/4 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries
1. Combine all ingredients in the blender. Blend on medium speed until smooth.
2. Pour into glasses and serve.
2 cups frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/2 cup lite cranberry juice
1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1. Combine frozen strawberries, yoguyrt, cranberry juice, and Splenda Granulated Sweetener in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Total time: 3 hours 35 minutes
1 cup flour
1/2 cup finely chopped Planters Slivered Almonds
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine, melted
1 pkg (8 ounce) Philadelphia Fat Free Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar (can substitute with Splenda No Calorie Sweetener)
2 cups thawed Cool Whip Lite whipped topping, divided
3 cups fat-free milk
2 pkg (4-serving size each) Jell-O Fat Free Sugar Free Instand Reduced Calorie Pudding & Pie Filling, any flavor
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, almonds and margarine until well blended (mixture will be crumbly). Press onto bottom of 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
2. Mix cream chees and sugar (or Splenda) until well blended. Stir in 1 cup of the whipped topping. Spread onto crust.
3. Pour milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes. Spread over cream cheese mixture. Cover with remaining 1 cup whipped topping. Refrigerate several hours or until chilled. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Cook time: 30 minutes
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart shucked clams, with liquid
6 (8 ounces) jars clam juice
1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cups half-and-half cream
salt and pepper to tate
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill weed
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until clear. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. In a separate pot, bring clams and clam juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. In a small saucepan, cover peeled potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Slowly pour hot clam stock into butter/flour mixture while stirring constantly. Continue stirring and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add cooked potatoes. Mix in half-and-half cream, salt and pepper and chopped dill. Heat through but do not boil.
Friday, January 18, 2008
1 cup hot brewed coffee
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
2 tablespoon milk
1. Pour coffee into mug. Stir in cocoa powder, Splenda Granulated No Calorie Sweetener, and milk.
Cook time: 45 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
6 (1 ounce) squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, Splenda Granulated Sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Corsely chop baking chocolate bars.
3. Mix eggs, bananas, oil, and milk in a large bowl until well blended. Add dry ingredients, stir until just moistened. Stir in chopped chocolate and walnuts.
4. Pour into greased loaf pan.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan, cool completely on wire rack.
1 cup ice cubes
1 large ripe mango, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
1 cup plain non fat yogurt
1/2 cup mango nectar or orange juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order listed. Process mixture until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Cook Time: 11 minutes
2 1/4 cups (or 280g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (or 5g) baking soda
1 teaspoon (or 6g) salt
1 cup (or 225g) butter or margarine
1/2 cup (or 95g) Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
1/2 cup (or 110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon (or 5 ml) vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (12 ounce) (or 336g) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat butter, Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking, brown sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape sides of bowl. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chocoloate morsels.
4. Spoon rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto ungreased baking sheets.
5. Bake cookies 9 - 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Cook Time: 5 minutes
8 packets SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener
3 tablespoons cocoa (preferably Dutch processed)
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1. Mix together SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener and cocoa in a small saucepan. Gradually add milk, wisking until blended.
2. Cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.